The Search Adventure

It is now 2010. We have been landlubbers for way too long, thirteen years. We have decided to enjoy the life of cruising once again, but first we must start with a sailboat large enough to house a family of three and two large dogs. 

The first boat we looked at was in Connecticut, it was Easter Weekend. We drove from the Chattanooga , Tennessee area. That was fun, mainly viewing the countryside . Mapquest took us right to New York City. Got stuck in traffic on the George Washington Bridge. I have never seen so much disorganization of traffic in my life. Looked like 10 plus, lanes of traffic were fed thru 6 or 7 toll booths. Cars, literally, bumper to bumper. Tractor Trailers only inches from the back of everyone’s car. Back to the boat…. Yes, it was nothing like the pictures and stated claims of the condition. Funny what people consider “Ready to Sail”.

After that, we went to St. Augustine, Florida to look at 51’ Ketch. It was used primarily for charter work. The owner was a marine archeologist, which I found impressive. He lived on it while he chartered it, but his work took him out of the area and he no longer had time to work on it “full time”. This boat was a cold mold fiberglass boat. It was a cool boat should one spend all their waking hours out on deck. The interior was tiny. Two people wouldn’t have been able to stand up or even pass each other. Our needs required that at least three humans and two dogs could exist comfortably. This was going to be an interesting search.

The next boat was in Coral Gables, Florida. My goodness, that was a pretty boat. This boat had the atmosphere that made a person want to stay and never leave. The only problem with this one was it had extensive leaks, that had not been addressed in years. There was rot all over her. To think that someone could buy this boat and take it out in ocean, was a real scary thought. A good hard wave could break that one apart. I was saddened, I could have really called this one home.

Then there was 60’ Three Masted Steel Schooner, in Naples, Florida. Now that was a sea worthy boat. The deck sides/bulwarks, were over knee high. It had lots of deck space to spread out on. The owner was getting it ready to take supplies to Orphans in Haiti after the massive earthquake that had recently happened.  The interior was large enough for cargo. The owner said he had everything to turn it back into a comfortable cruiser. It lacked comfortable living quarters. The men talked over ideas of “we could do this, or we could do that” with the interior. It had many possibilities. Michael always said, “If a boat can’t earn money for you, it’s not worth having”, which was sensible.  Anyway, the boat had a seperate engine room with water tight doors to it, an air compressor for dive tanks and lots of gear.  The master stateroom was nice and large with a separate entrance and it’s own head and shower. We liked the topsides of this boat most of all.  It had the classic feel and lay out that schooner ships have.

Today we are in Kemah, Texas looking at a 51 Formosa. This boat was “The Boat” in the movie Captain Ron. From a distance the hull looked like it needed a good buffing job, perhaps paint job. The pictures did not give way to any false ideas about it’s condition. The guys just got out of the van and are looking it over, me , I had to stay behind in the ac with our two large dogs. Gives me a chance to document our adventures and check my emails on the computer. Ok, here comes Mike with a report. He tells me that the boat needs varnish and paint everywhere. It appears to have leaks, and he says “I hope you feel the same way I do about this one.” I think he is scared to death that we will choose a boat that he wouldn’t be caught dead on. Being a teenager, appearance means everything you know! His summations were not off at all. The one question I asked was “what does it smell like?” The smell of mildew in a boat , whether it is strong or not, will indicate water leaks. The most common smell on boats are the holding tank chemicals. Which aren’t appealing either. His response was “it smells like a boat.”

It was a large boat, which did need varnish and paint. Cosmetics, I can work with. The broker said the teak decks were redone three years ago. As I looked them over, I saw that the caulking between the seems was missing in places.

The teak was bowed and pulling away from the deck in other areas. I asked him where the work had been done and he said “somewhere in the islands”. I wanted to know where not to take my boat in the future. It was a bad replacement job. The cabin sides had been stripped of varnish in some places and the “bungs” were swelling and standing above the wood surface. Varnished areas had seams with voids where water gets in and finds it’s way down below.

My husband sees the best in everything and began explaining how we could do this and that to improve the situation. Ipointed out the large pot on the master bunk, which looked as tho it was used to catch rain water. The heat down below was smothering me and it was all I could do to find my way out of there. The Broker asked me what I thought and I told him it was more work than I cared to take on. He assured me that if we took the boat to South America, we could get the work done for a quarter of what it would cost to have done here in the United States.. No thanks! 

Ironically this boat was located in a marina right next to an amusement park with a large roller coaster.  Every so often you could clearly hear the screams of the people on the ride.  I had to laugh because while looking this boat over the screams really summed up how I was feeling. 🙂

We spent the last few days on the west coast in Washington State looking at a couple of boats that “caught our eye”, so to speak.  Our introduction to Washington State consisted of rainy and cold weather.  We spent the first day there regrouping and running errands in the pouring rain.  Michael called the owner of the Formosa and set up an appointment for 4pm the following day for a viewing.  It turned out to be a beautiful sunny day.  As we walked down the dock we met a man who said “It’s a beautiful day, and I have no idea why?”.  It was an odd statement that made me laugh.  But as I learned of the weather in the Seattle area, I began to understand.  One couldn’t help but notice the beautiful snow capped mountains behind the Puget Sound.  Large container ships passed by as well as other boats of various shapes and sizes.  As we walked down the dock, the boat owner continued pointing out the classic boats and their histories along the way.  As we approached the Formosa with classic lines, dark blue hull, sailcovers, dodger and  heavy stainless davits on the back, it was evident this was the boat we came to see. The decks were fiberglassed/not teak, which was a plus.  Teak decks have a reputation for leaking.  This boat had a few leaks but nothing major.  When entering the cockpit, there was a small section in the dodger/bimini area to climb thru.  I had not bent my legs in that fashion in some time.  The cockpit area was rather small which could be an issue when cruising long distances.  The cockpit area is where most of your time is spent.  The owners had put much effort into making this boat a terrific liveaboard by making good use of the space.  Storage was plentiful and it even had a washer/dryer on board. 

 The only issue I found with this boat was living space for our son.  I didn’t want to purchase a boat that didn’t have adequate living space for him as well.  His living quarters need to be large enough for him to be able to move two steps to the right or left.  Perhaps I just couldn’t visualize the space adequately.  The owners were very nice and  accomodating to allow us a viewing of their boat with such short notice.   And as we had done before, we had to take turns viewing the boat while someone stayed behind in the vehicle with the dogs.  Michael and I went first, then Mike looked at it next. When I traded places with Mike it was 5pm.

  At 6pm, Michael came back to the van to pick up his Tennessee Rum in the back pack saying “I’ll be right back”.  I knew better.  By 6:30 I texted Mike with a “Let’s Go”.  By 7pm the guys had yet made it back to the van.  So I started the engine and drove down the road in the opposite direction, just to look around.  As the vehicle was out of sight from the dock, my phone then rings with Mike on the other end “Where did you go?”.  Told him I was tired of waiting and decited to leave.  Don’t think it mattered much, by the time I got back to the dock the guys were sitting on a bench watching a group of women doing Yoga on the dock overlooking the Puget Sound at sunset. 🙂

Next stop was at the most northern point of Washington State, right at the United States border to Canada. This boat was a 51′ Hudson.  It was apparent that she had not been out of the water in some time.  The kelp grew beautifully long and slinder off of the propeller as well as a large colony of barnacles. 

 The lines on these Hudsons always appealed to me, with the long bow sprits.  The owner of this boat was a charming man who felt that he was getting too old to run this sailboat.  I didn’t have the heart to tell him how young he still was compared to the people I had met in previous years in Florida who were still sailing in their early 90’s.  He was so very interesting to talk to.  He had many interesting stories to share.  This boat was in good condition but there were some “unknown” factors about it that didn’t set well with us.  The bilge was real dry and the interior hullside had all been wrapped in aluminum foil type bubble wrap for insulation.  There was no where that you could look at the condition of the hull.  The topside teak decks were wavy indicating they weren’t fascend porperly.  After being on the road for almost 6 weeks, I was beginning to overlook certain issues just to find a place to call home.  Luckily, Michael wasn’t as eager as I was andw we left on the note that we had more boats to see and that we would be in touch.  While looking back, I’m glad he had the fortitude to do that because we might have been sorry otherwise.

Meanwhile, our friend Shelly in La Paz, Mexico contacted us again that she had a 51′ Formosa that had just dropped the price and if we were interested in the boat we needed to get down there and take a look. Since neither of us had our passports, off to Florida we went where our personal papers were located.  It was decided, by Michael, that he would go alone first to check it out and would report back.  He went the expidite route and was able to obtain his passport in 3 days.  By the 4th day he flew out to Mexico in time to see the Baja Race in La Paz.  So Mike and I stayed in Florida and spent time catching up with old friends while waiting for Michael’s report. 


Tags: ,

2 Responses to “The Search Adventure”

  1. quietpaths Says:

    What a saga; which is yet to unfold, still. But what a trip! Am glad you are getting a chance to rest and reload for the next part of your search.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: